Another Time & Place

A place to relax and reminisce. Here you'll find nostalgia, memorabilia, history, anything from the past.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Frankensteins' Anniversary


Actually, the anniversary was yesterday on January 1, but since I'll bet you forgot too, it doesn't really matter.

Jan. 1, 1818 was the day the novel by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley entitled Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus was first published in London.

My first introduction was to the 1931 movie version starring Boris Karloff on late-night TV back in the 60s, and maybe it spoiled me, but I've never met a subsequent version I've liked. I've since read the original novel and, and at the time, was surprised at the difference. I was young then and didn't know it was common practice to take "artistic liberty" when making movies from novels. Even so, the '31 version remains my Favorite. I've watched it everytime it's come on TV, and have it stored in a now aging video tape collection. I also have audio versions I've found on the internet that I listen to every once in a while.

Here are a few links you might like:

The Origin of a Myth: Mary Shelley's Novel Frankenstein

Project Gutenbergs' Frankenstein e-text

The LibriVox contemporary Mp3 version in 22 parts.

Old Time Radio MP3 version in 13 episodes.

Various movie versions from Amazon.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home