Another Time & Place

A place to relax and reminisce. Here you'll find nostalgia, memorabilia, history, anything from the past.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

World War One Color Photos


"World War I.... who would have thought there were original color photos of WWI? This site contains hundreds of photos taken by the French in the last two years of World War One."

"Although color photography was around prior to 1903, the Lumière brothers, Auguste and Louis, patented the process in 1903 and developed the first color film in 1907. The French army was the primary source of color photos during the course of World War One."

They aren't kidding about "hundreds of photos", I spent so much time trying to decide on a good picture to blog that I finally had to just close my eyes and pick one.

I haven't seen all of them (full sized), but there doesn't look to be any blood and gore pictures. That probably wouldn't have been in line with the propaganda of the day. I'm sure you can imagine what damage could be done to the war effort if the public ever got hold of photos of their dead soldiers lying in the mud.
Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home